1 / Some info about Howrse
> 1.1 - Time for your horse
The horse's day is not the same as a real day. The history of the day is on the left side of the horse's page. A horse's day starts when it wakes up at 8 a.m. Each of the horse's actions takes a certain amount of time. For example, meals take 30 minutes.
Your horse must be put to bed before midnight (horse time), after which time horses can no longer carry out actions. The only exception is foaling, which can happen at any time. To keep a horse in top shape, you should put it to bed no later than 10 pm.
Your horse needs to be boarded in an equestrian center so that you can put it to bed at the end of the day.
Foals that are less than 6 months old can be bedded down even if they are not boarded in an equestrian center.Aging
Once your horse is bedded down, it will automatically age at the time of the site's update (10:00). Once it wakes up, a new day begins. In the game, horses age 2 months each time they wake up.
If you have not put your horse to bed, it will not age automatically during the night. This means that if you are not playing, your horse will not age. In order to age it without waiting for the next day, you need aging points. You will sometimes find some when your horse wakes up (it will be mentioned in the history). If not, you can purchase aging points with passes.
There are two items from the Black Market that allow a horse to get around the aging rules:
- Water of Youth allows you to age your horse one month at a time after its second birthday
- Morpheus's Arms lets you age your horse at will up to 30 years old.
Unlike aging points, these items must be assigned to a specific horse.
After its 25th birthday, your horse gets old, and its health and skills begin to decline. If you take good care of it, your horse can live up to a maximum of 35 years. If you give your horse the Philosopher's Stone, it becomes immortal and its skills never decline.
> 1.2 - Weather and seasons
On Howrse, the seasons last one week. Fall starts on the first day of each real month. Since each season lasts 1 week, Winter begins on the 8th, Spring arrives on the 15th, and Summer starts on the 22nd. Summer lasts until the end of the real month, then the cycle of seasons starts again the next month.
In-game seasons have an impact on the amount of grass in meadows. There is a lot of grass in fertile meadows during the Spring and Summer, but it gets scarce in winter.
> 1.3 - Rankings
In each ranking page, you can view your ranking by using the link "Display my position in the rankings" located at the top of the page.
Use the numbers in red or green with a - or + character in front of them to assess your day-to-day progress.General ranking
On this page, you will find:
- Overall ranking of players. Warning, only your 10000 horses with the most skills are taken into account for ranking purposes.
- Ranking of players having obtained the most trophies.
- Ranking of the richest players
- Ranking by seniority
- Ranking of popularity, which is calculated based on the number of visits by different players the previous day. A player visiting a profile more than once each day does not raise the rank of that page, only one visit per day will be taken into account.
On this page, you can view:
- ranking for breeders with the most horses
- ranking for breeders who cared for the most horses during the previous day
- ranking for breeders who won the most competitions during the previous day
- ranking for breeders who won the most rosettes during the previous day
Because all horses are not necessarily lucky in competitions, they may also be ranked according to either overall skill or a specific skill. Therefore, you will find a ranking for each skill.
You can also filter the ranking of the horses by breed and thus see the best individual of each breed.
In each of these rankings, you may display the position of your own horses and monitor their progress.The horse victory ranking
Horses are ranked according to their results in competitions. There is a general ranking as well as one for each type of competition (trot and gallop races, cross-country, show-jumping...). Horses that have the highest record of achievements are obviously great champions with exceptional skills, but they are also horses whose trainers have managed their career in the most intelligent way possible.Creation Ranking
On this page, you'll find:
- Ranking of breeders who own the most horses with a Golden Apple
- Ranking of breeders who own the most horses with a Retired Golden Apple
- Ranking of players who have proposed the most creations
- Ranking of players whose creations are the most frequently used in the game
> 1.4 - Item trading
From the trade menu, you can gift items from the Black Market or trade items with other players.
Every week, you can offer or accept:
|From 10 to 30 days' seniority||2 trades per week|
|More than 30 days' seniority||3 trades per week|
|With the Pegasus Account||6 trades per week|
- Your karma has to be greater than 6
- Your email address must be verified
- Your account must be validated by your parents if you are under 18 years old
- You cannot trade with a player who has the same email address as you
- You may only make one trade with the same player per week
You can give your friends 3 items from the shop (apples, saddles...) a week. To use this feature, you and your friends must have more than 10 days' seniority.
You may only give away one item to the same friend per week.
Visit your friends' pages to gift items from the shop!
> 1.5 – Safety
You must follow some basic rules to play in the best of conditions:
- Never give out your password,
- do not register on sites that pretext to offer you passes so as to steal your account,
- choose a password that is difficult to guess
> 1.6 - Account sharing
You can allow authorized friends to access your account and take care of it when you are not available. The Account Sharing button will let your co-managers access your account for 30 days until you log in again. This way, they will have limited access to your account. They can take care of your horses, but they will never be able to delete your account, your equestrian center, your breeding farms, or sell your horses.
Warning, co-management of your account should not be entrusted to someone you do not know. Any undesired activity on your account by a co-manager remains your responsibility.
> 1.7 - Passes
Passes are an in-game currency. They give you access to better services and products than the ones you can obtain with Equus.
Passes allow you to:
- purchase bonus items from the black market for your horse,
- hire employees to receive bonuses for your equestrian center,
- purchase aging points,
- purchase a Pegasus membership and receive exclusive perks,
- add more Equus to your reserve,
- trade horses.
To get passes:
- there are several different payment methods. Learn more about them on the passes page.
- after 30th day on Howrse, you can earn up to 1 pass every 30 days by filling a meter thanks to your daily actions while playing
- you can win passes if you put your horses up for sale in exchange for passes and players buy them
- you can win passes by sending horses that are older than 30 to Heaven, according to the following rules:
- you get 1 pass for each horse you send to heaven when they're over 30 years old if you have received less than 10 passes this month using this system
- you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a pass if you got between 10 and 29 passes this month using this system. The rest of the time (if you didn't get a pass) you will receive a bonus product.
- you will win nothing further if you have already won 30 passes this month using this system
In order to get a pass in one of these ways, your email address must be confirmed, or your game must be verified by your parents if you are under 18.
> 1.8 - Your account
You can change your personal info at any time from the Account page.
Please note that for data protection purposes, accounts that are inactive for more than 180 days will be deleted automatically.
2 / Take care of your horse
> 2.1 - Boarding your horse
After weaning it, quickly board your horse in an equestrian center so you can put it to bed.
To do this, use the link at the top-right of the page to choose an equestrian center. You can choose an equestrian center according to its price or its prestige. You may also search for the equestrian center of a specific player by providing the player's identifier.
Once you have selected an equestrian center, you must choose the duration of the stay, and then simply confirm. Of course, your horses do not all have to be boarded at the same equestrian center. Furthermore, you can change centers as often as you like.
You can extend the boarding thanks to the which is placed next to the end date on your horse's page. The center manager will decide to accept or decline your request. It's also possible to ask the manager to reserve a box for you in his establishment.Choosing a center
The equestrian center that you choose will have an influence namely on:
- box size: the bigger the box is, the more morale a horse bedded there receives when it wakes up
- the quality of bedding used: mares will lose less energy when giving birth if the quality of their bedding is good
- The money you earn for the missions your horse accomplishes: the price is automatically calculated according to the boarder's prestige. (the price displayed on the center's page is the amount received by the owner of the horse performing the mission)
- the meadow prestige: the higher the meadow prestige is, the more fodder your horse will be able to eat for free when grazing
- if food is available, such as fodder, oats, carrots or mashes: you can then give some to your horses without having to take it from your inventory.
- the presence of equipment that allows boarders to benefit from it for free if they have the corresponding specialty
- Location of Equestrian Center: skills increase twice as fast during rides if the location of the Equestrian Center corresponds to the type of ride your horse goes on.
Remember to check the profile page for the center where you want to board your horse to avoid any surprises, as you won't be able to cancel the horse's board there. The horse will stay there for the number of days you have paid for. There is one exception: when players buy a horse whose board has already been booked in, they can cancel it during the 7 days following purchase.
If your horse is evicted from the box they were in because the box has become too worn or the equestrian center was deleted:
- either you are reimbursed for the boarding sum that is left
- or if reimbursement isn't possible, your horse will be transferred to a box of the same quality in Ow's equestrian center for the remaining duration of their stay. You can cancel your horse's board in the 7 days following the transfer if you wish.
Cancelling a horse's board doesn't give you the right to be reimbursed.
> 2.2 - Feeding your horse
Foals remain with their mother until they are 6 months old.During that time, they feed on their mother's milk exclusively. If the equestrian center where the mother is boarded provides carrots, the foal can eat some for free.
Weaned foals can only eat fodder.When they start training, you can give them oats. Make sure they eat properly: not too much, not too little.The adult horse
An adult draft horse needs fodder and oats.Food quantity depends on the amount of work provided. If the food is not appropriate, they will get fatter or thinner, which can incur health damage.
The horse can eat a certain amount of fodder for free depending one the quality of the meadows in the equestrian center where the horse is boarded. It also depends on the season: grass is less abundant in the winter than it is in the spring.
Some equestrian centers offer fodder and oats to their boarders.
This allows you to feed your horse entirely for free if they are boarded in such an equestrian center!
Several messages will warn you if your horse is too fat or too thin. If this is the case, you will have to take action. If it's too thin, you will have to give it as much feed as possible. If it's too fat, don't feed it.Treats
You can please your horse by giving him carrots. They also restore some of his energy. They can be given away for free to boarders by equestrian centers who grow them. Make sure you choose the right equestrian center!
Other players can give apples to your horse to boost his morale.Mashes
In order to help you keep your horse in shape, you can use mashes that will restore:
- 10% energy
- 10% morale
- 5% health
Only horses that are more than 2 years old. Additionally, after 25, horses no longer recover health from mash.
Just like with fodder, oat and carrots, some equestrian centers can give mashes away for free.
> 2.3 - Keeping your horse fit
There are three gauges that give you an indication of the physical condition of your horse: energy, health and morale.
Each time your horse performs an action, it impacts one or several of its stats. You must pay close attention to its energy. If your horse is exhausted, it can die.Ideally, bed it at 10 p.m. at the latest, with at least 20% energy. If your horse is below 20% energy, it will not recover properly and might even die if below 5%.
How do you restore a horse's energy?
- by feeding them
- by stroking them
- by giving them a mash
- by bedding them. The horse recovers about 5 times the energy they had when they went to bed. Remember though that if you bed your horse when their energy is 0, they will die.
- by giving them something to drink
- give them some of the sugar you will find while performing actions
- by giving them a carrot
How do you restore your horse's morale?
- by grooming them
- by giving them a mash
- by giving them something to drink
- if another player gives them an apple
Finally, health increases naturally as time goes by.Morale problems
When a horse is aged with less than 20% morale, his health drops. The lower his morale is, the faster the health drops. To prevent that, don't forget to groom your horses every day and to put them in an Equestrian Center.Health problems
The health of a horse under 25 declines when:
- This horse is too fat or too thin
- You have not taken good enough care of your horse
- The horse's energy has dropped below 20%
- You have not groomed your horse the previous day
After 25, the health of horses and ponies that do not have the Philosopher's Stone will decline gradually according to the age of the horse.
> 2.4 – The store
You will find, there, everything that you need to take care of your horse. In the various departments, you may purchase:
- food and treats to please your horse
- equipment to enter competitions
- bonuses to increase your horse's performance
On this page, in the bottom right, you can view items that are in your inventory and plan for renewing your stock. If necessary, you can sell these items at the store. The store will purchase them for less than the asking price. You can also sell droppings produced by your horses. To sell something to the store, click “Sell Items” on the store page.
Note that you can only sell what you have in your inventory.
> 2.5 - Black Market
The Black Market is a very strange and peculiar place. Stay on your guard when venturing out there, the powers of items found there may be so strong they can be frightening.
The items on the black market may be purchased with passes.
These items may not be handed down from parent to offspring. They cannot be transferred from one horse to another, and they cannot be recovered when the horse dies.
3 / Prepare your horse for the competitions
> 3.1 - Harnessing your horse and choosing its specialty
In order for your horse to be able to compete at the age of 3 years, you have to choose which riding style will be its specialty. The types of competitions your horse will be eligible for will depend on its specialty.
Horses that specialize in Classical Riding can enter speed races and cross-country, show jumping and dressage competitions.
Horses that specialize in Western Riding can enter barrel racing, cutting, reining, western pleasure and trail class competitions.
To choose your horse's specialty, select their riding type in the Competitions box.
You can change your horse's specialty until it reaches the age of 5 years.Tack
Once your horse is specialized, you have to purchase a saddle blanket, a saddle and a bridle that match its specialty. You can find these items at the breeder's store. There are several designs and quality levels available.
Some equestrian centers make different types of equipment available for your horse for free.
In order to make your horse more efficient in competitions, you can also equip him with an ear bonnet and polo wraps.
You can then give these items to your horse from the horse page.
This equipment will never wear out. You cannot remove it, only replace it.
If you replace your horse's equipment, the old equipment will be destroyed.
> 3.2 - Skills and training
On Howrse, there are six skill categories:
The maximum skills that a horse may reach during its lifetime through the activities that you will have it carry out is determined at birth according to its breed and ancestors. They vary, therefore, from one individual to the next, even within the same breed. However, as logic dictates, a trotter will never become a champion flat racer! As the potential of a horse cannot be extended infinitely, there will come a time when your horse will no longer progress. It is up to you to develop your horse's skills to their fullest!
There are 3 main ways to improve a horse's skills:
Pay attention to your horse's health. If you train him, have him go on rides, or enter competitions and he is not at 100% health, he won't win the maximum number of skill points. If your horse doesn't gain the maximum skills, he won't be able to retrieve them later.
There are 2 more ways to improve skills:
- Playing games when the foal is between 8 and 16 months old; it is possible to earn up to 60 skill points this way.
- Completing missions which become available when a horse reaches 2 years old; missions consume 30% energy. Skill progress depends on the quality of the missions provided by the equestrian center where the horse is boarded. Missions give skill points in the horse's or pony's 2 highest potential skills. Remember, skill increases from missions end when the horse is 25 years old!
When you have completed the development of a horse's skill, said skill is displayed in bold type in the horse's genetic potential. Completing the development means finishing training and rides, and having the horse earn all the skills possible in competitions.Training
Training starts at 1 year and 6 months for rides. There are 2 types of rides: forest rides and mountain rides. Each one develops specific skills:
- Forest rides develop dressage, gallop and jumping
- Mountain rides develop stamina, speed and trot
You will see the stars of the Skills frame (in the center of your horse page) fill in progressively. Note that gaining skills is limited, and after a certain time, your horse will no longer gain anything by doing rides.
When your horse is 2 years old, it can start training. Each skill requires a specific training. Each training requires 3 hours. You can combine several training types during your horse's day, but always check its energy level and what time it is on its history so that it can get enough rest. Remember, you have to bed it down at 10:00 pm at the latest!
When your horse reaches 5 years old, you can go on beach rides. These are special rides during which you can change the allocation of your horse's skills by transferring them from one skill to another. The longer the ride, the higher the transfer of skills. Warning, the transfer is limited and corresponds to 2.5% of the genetic potential of the horse.
Remember, if your horse's morale isn't at 100% when it goes for rides on the beach, the transferring of skills will be less than optimal and lost for good.Bonuses
They appear in a frame in the horse's page. These are points added to the skills, but they are not to be confused with the skills. They may make a difference in the results of the competitions, but do not count for the minimum required for the competitions.
They may be associated with:
- at the center at which the horse has been boarded according to its prestige
- with various items bought from the store, on the Black Market or found during activities performed by your horse
They are also displayed with a + sign in front of them when you hover your mouse over the "Skills" frame.
> 3.3 - Competition
When your horse is 3 years old competitions can begin! In order for your horse to compete, you have to specialize it into one type of competition and give it a saddle blanket, a saddle and a bridle that match its specialization.
The competitions will enable you to earn money according to your success but also to improve the skills of your horses. As their potential is not unlimited, there will come a time when your horse's skills will no longer be improved by competitions.
Regardless of the discipline, each competition has a difficulty level set within a percentage range for a skill, each center setting its competitions at the level of its choice.
For certain types of competition, you can use filters to choose the distance.
You cannot enter more than 2 horses from your stables in a competition.
On every horse's profile page, among other information, you'll find a summary of the horse's victories and results in competitions.Classical Riding Competitions
Classical Riding competitions are for horses specializing in Classical Riding that have a Classical bridle and saddle. There are 5 kinds of competitions:
- Gallop and trot speed races are restricted based on gallop skill level for gallop races, and trot skill level for trot races. Horses also need good speed and dressage skills if you want them to become champions.
- Cross-countryis a very physical discipline that requires high stamina, good jumping skills and high docility. Registrations are restricted based on the stamina skill.
- Show-jumpingrequires exceptional jumping skills and high flexibility. Since these competitions are timed, a show-jumping horse also has to clear obstacles quickly. Registration is restricted based on jumping skill level. In a show-jumping contest, horses can commit fouls, each adding 1 second to their final timer.
- Dressage contests focus on the rhythm of a horses pacing, i.e. gallop and trot, but more importantly, on dressage skills. Occasionally, a horse can perform exceptionally well, which increases its score and grants you a bonus of 100 Equus.
Western Riding competitions are for horses specializing in Western Riding that have a Western bridle and saddle. There are 5 kinds of competitions:
- Barrel Racing is a timed race that requires speed, stamina and gallop skills. The goal is to slalom around 3 barrels as fast as possible without knocking them down. Competition registration is restricted based on speed.
- Cutting requires high stamina and speed in order to keep a calf under control. It also requires a high level of dressage. Competition registration is restricted based on stamina level.
- Reining is a dressage discipline that takes place at a gallop. High stamina is also a requirement. Registration is restricted based on gallop level.
- Western pleasure is a discipline that requires excellent trotting skills, but also dressage and stamina. Registration is restricted based on trot level. Horses can commit fouls, each adding 1 second to their final timer.
- The trail class is the equivalent of the dressage contest for classic riding. A trail class horse needs excellent dressage skills, but also good trot and jumping skills. Registration is restricted based on dressage level.
Please note, from 60 days of seniority in the game onwards, your horse may lose some morale when they do not finish first in a competition. Don't worry, this loss of morale can easily be restored with a little rest and some treats!Bonuses
You can grant bonuses to your horses in order to make them perform better in competitions. Certain bonuses can be found while completing missions with your horses (such as the hoof pick or the comb). Other bonuses can be purchased by visiting the store or the black market. When calculating competition results, bonuses are directly applied to skills and have an impact on the final result.
New players just starting their game will receive a special bonus. Don't be surprised if some horses seem to perform exceptionally well, they've received a little help to get a good start in the game!Competitions for rookie horses
Certain competitions are only open to rookie horses. Rookie horses are horses that have won less than 20 victories and who have no skills above 800. This number is recalculated every night.
> 3.4 - Rosettes
Rosettes are rewards you earn by winning certain competitions with 75% or higher prestige. When one of your horses wins a rosette, you earn twice as many Equus for that competition. However, you cannot win the same rosette more than once with the same horse.Trophies
The more rosettes you win, the more trophies you earn for your collections.
> 3.5 - Grand Prix
The Grand Prix is a week-long championship. It consists of 5 heats total, one heat per day. There are 2 different Grand Prix: Classical Riding and Western Riding.
|Classical Riding Grand Prix||Cross-country||Trot||Show jumping||Dressage||Gallop|
|Western Riding Grand Prix||Cutting||Western pleasure||Reining||Trail class||Barrel racing|
Each event lasts 10 hours and requires 99% energy. Players may enter two of their horses in each event.
A ranking is done each day and extraordinary gifts are handed out:
- For the winner: 4 passes
- For the second player: 2 passes
- For the third player: 1 pass
- For the fourth player: 1 x Horseshoe Studs
- For the fifth player: 1 x Piece of Cloud
- For the first 100 players: 1000 Equus
- For all contestants: 500 Equus
At the end of the 5 events, on Saturday, a Grand Prix weekly ranking is displayed: Only the best performance in each event is counted. To be ranked, you must have participated in the 5 events of the week.
Sunday there are no events, it's rest day for your horses.
Following the weekly Grand Prix ranking:
- The top 10 receive an award on their profile page.
- The top 100 place finishers gain a 7-day access to the fountain. The fountain replaces the trough and triples energy and morale gains.
To enter the Grand Prix, you need to find an entry ticket by opening Horns of Plenty. You only need to find one ticket to be able to participate every week.
There are special bonuses for the Grand Prix, which for example allow you to reduce the energy your horses spend when registering, to give skill bonuses to your competing horses, and to register four horses in each event instead of two. You'll find these bonuses in the Horns of Plenty.
Please note that the Grand Prix participation of a horse is canceled if you loan or sell it.
4 / Develop the genetic potential of your horse
> 4.1 - Breeding
Horses reach their sexual maturity at 2 and a half, and are fertile until the end of their lifetime.
It's up to the owners of stallions to offer coverings or to suggest one to a specific mare. They also have to specify a covering cost (between 500 and 7500 Equus). The owners of mares can look for the best stallions by browsing through offers or replying to specific offers.
When you have your mare covered, you must pay for vet fees that correspond to 1% of your Equus reserve, rounded up to the next hundred with a minimum of 100 Equus and a maximum of 2500 Equus.
It is possible to cross-breed. Each foal is thus unique: it will inherit characteristics from its parents and their ancestors. It is up to you to make the right crosses to produce champions or to create a breeding farm that focuses on a certain discipline.
As certain stallions are very in demand, you can make a deal with their owner so that they reserve a covering for you. Often, breeders will indicate their price and conditions on their page.
To have one of your mares covered by one of your stallions, make yourself a reserved offer.Gestation
pregnancy lasts for 12 months. Starting from the 8th month, for 50 Equus you can ask for an ultrasound in order to know the foal's gender, breed and coat in advance. When reaching this phase, the mare can only take missions.On the 12th month of pregnancy, you must call the vet and make sure your mare is boarded at an equestrian center. If you don't call the vet, you will lose the foal.
Once the foal is born you can name it and start taking care of it. Once it is separated from its mother at the age of 6 months you will have to board it at an equestrian center.
Foaling is the only action that can occur after midnight in the horse's history.
Keep in mind that it is not necessarily advantageous to cross-breed a mare that excels in dressage with a horse whose top skill is speed. Their offspring will not necessarily be better in each of these characteristics. It is recommended to breed between horses that excel in the same skill.
Foaling is a tiring experience for a mare. There must be an interval of at least 10 months between the birth of the last foal and the next covering.Geldings
You can castrate your males who are between the ages of 2 and a half years old and 6 years old. Your horse will become a gelding. It will no longer be able to reproduce, but it will gain a bonus (stamina: +8, speed: +8, dressage: +4). Gelding a horse takes at least two hours.
Note that it is not possible to give Zeus's Lightning Bolt to a gelding, and that castration is irreversible.The foal
The foaling went smoothly, a foal is born. Its breed is determined by the majority breed in its ascendants if they are not "pure bred". Its coat is selected at random among the coats authorized by the foal's breed.
Your foal's capacities depend on the genetic characteristics of its parents as well as their training level and competition achievements.
The foals that you produce remain with their dam, in the same box, until they are 6 months old. They do not need to be boarded during this period, and they feed exclusively on their dam's milk.Unicorns
Unicorns are very rare and reproduce almost like ordinary horses.
Breeding is only possible between unicorns of the same breed. However, you should be aware that you will only get a one in 5 chance of successfully breeding a baby unicorn.
Every day, you can activate 2 unicorn covering sessions, that can be activated whenever you want. A session is activated the moment you cover a female unicorn, after you have confirmed. From that moment on, you have 60 seconds to cover all the other female unicorns that you wish to cover.
Once you've used up both covering sessions, you have to wait till the next day (after the daily update) to be able to cover your unicorns again.
Remember, you may only cover a unicorn at least 10 real hours after its conception or after its previous covering. Therefore you may want to space out your covering sessions.Donkeys
Donkeys can only reproduce three times in their lifetime, and only with another donkey. This is the only species whose genetic potential decreases with every generation.
When a male donkey is put up for sale, any coverings he has offered that haven't yet been accepted by a female are canceled.
Draft horses can only breed 3 times in their lifetime, and only with another draft horse.
When a male draft horse is put up for sale, pending coverings that have not yet been accepted by a mare are canceled.
> 4.2 - Genetics
The genetic potential of a horse is calculated according to the genetic potential and the BLUP of its parents.
Once a foal is born, its genetic potential can no longer increase
Innate skills and skill progression from playing and conducting missions are not included in the genetic potential. This means a horse's skills can exceed the values listed in their genetic potential.Stars awarded for excellence
The award for excellence is a green star that you will find under a horse's genetic potential. It indicates that the horse excels in that particular skill. It is rare, as it is the culmination of a breeder's extensive work in terms of training and careful selection of breeding stock. It is awarded to exceptional horses!
To earn a star of excellence, the horse must have reached 100% of the genetic potential in the skill in question. It is possible to obtain additional stars in a skill for every 10% of additional genetic potential reached in the skill.
Excellence stars are awarded at a foal's birth only, because a horse's genetic potential cannot change once it is born.Inborn skills
These are skills that the horse has right from birth. All foals do not necessarily have inborn skills. They are dependent on the foal's parents, their genetic potential and their BLUP. Thus a foal may be born with 10% stamina, for example.
A foal cannot be born with negative skills. If the average BLUP of the parents is below 0, then the foal will have no inborn skills.
These inborn skills are set at birth. They are added to the genetic potential.
Note that inborn skills are integrated to the skills, therefore it is possible to exceed the value indicated in the genetic potential. This effective value is what will count for the minimum skill requirement for competitions.The BLUP
The BLUP value is a genetic index. It plays a role in breeding since the parents' BLUP values affect the foal's genetic potential and skills at birth.
It is calculated according to:
- the training level (rides, pure training and competitions) reached by the horse in its 3 best skills
- the number of competitions the horse has won, ideally at least 20
- its age, the BLUP can reach 100 only when the horse is at least 10 years old
Based on these parameters, the BLUP value will always be somewhere between -100 and +100, -100 being the minimum value and +100 being the maximum value a horse can reach.
The higher the parents' average BLUP values, the higher the chances for the foal to have a high genetic potential and innate skills.
Moreover, if the parents' average BLUP value is below 0, the foal will have no innate skills.
In order to get the best possible foals, it is advisable to choose horses with a high BLUP value as breeding partners, or at least a positive one, i.e. horses that are well-trained and who have performed well in competitions.
5 / Building a career on Howrse
> 5.1 - Earning money
What are the various ways of earning money?
- Missions: your horse receives a certain amount of money depending on your equestrian center.
- competitions that your horses take part in
- covering offers if you own a stallion
- the sale of a horse from your stables
- the sale of droppings produced by your horses
- the sale of items from your inventory to the shop
- the items traded on the Black Market
- the use of a passes to credit your reserve
> 5.2 - Your breeding farm
Breeding farms allow you to regroup horses that belong to you, whoever their breeders are.
You can have one breeding farm for every 60 days of seniority, with a maximum of 5 breeding farms.
By subscribing to a Pegasus account, you can register up to 50 breeding farms. Additionally, you can regroup all these breeding farms under 5 categories, each with its own color, in order to find them more easily.Affixes
Any breeding farm can make a name for itself and build its reputation based on the horses it produces. You can register an affix and add it to the name of the horses that you have produced. This affix may not be removed by future owners of horses produced in your breeding farm. You cannot add it to the name of horses that were not born in your breeding farm.
You need at least 30 days of seniority in order to reserve an affix. You can then create one other affix for each 30 days of seniority. You can also unlock affixes by registering with a Pegasus account. Clicking an affix will pull up a list of all the horses wearing it.
You can have several affixes and give them based on the breeds you use, for instance, or in order to differentiate lineages within a specific breeding farm focused on this or that breed.The breeds and the blue star
There are many different breeds on Howrse, for horses and ponies alike. You can separate purebred horses from these with mixed breeds via the Genetics tab on the horses' sheet. Additionally, purebred horses have a blue star on the sales and coverings pages.Breeding restrictions
As you take care of your horses you can find aging points or bonuses (whip, tub of grease...) and earn Equus (for example through missions or competitions). However, if you take care of more than 1000 horses in a single day these benefits are disabled. They are re-enabled on the following day.
> 5.3 - Horse trading
Regardless of the method used, the minimum sale price for a horse or pony is 500 equus. You cannot buy back a horse that you sold for 10 days after the sale. There is another type of sale, but this is not done between players: the Safe Haven.
The moment you put your horse up for sale, you can no longer take care of it. It is automatically paused and stops aging. It will start aging as usual again once it has been bought. Note that the horse will stop aging once it's been put up for sale, even if the seller just took care of it that same day.The auctions
You can sell a horse at auction if you have finished the Golden Apple tutorial and have a karma higher than 4.
When you want to auction a horse, you can choose the start price. Buyers will bid on your price, and the horse will be transferred to the player who has made the highest bid at the end of the scheduled sale (3 days).
During an auction, the money is directly debited from the highest bidder. All players who made earlier bids are then repaid their money. If after 3 days no one has bid on a sale, then the seller keeps their horse.
Auctions can be canceled if no one has bid on them yet.Players with the Pegasus Account can start auctions for passes.
Only players with at least 30 days' seniority, 2 living horses and karma higher than 4 can use the direct sales.
Direct sales are a way to sell your horses faster than auctioning. You choose your horse's sale price. If a breeder is interested, they can buy it and the money from the sale is instantly transferred to you.
You may cancel a direct sale before it has ended if no one has bought your horse. The horse in question will automatically return to your breeding farm 30 days after the start of the sale.The Reserved Sales
It is also possible to reserve a sale for a certain breeder. If you select this option, only the player that you have chosen will be able to buy your horse.Safe Haven
The Safe Haven is a refuge for horses. Horses and ponies staying there get to live it up far from the hubbub of the competitive world.
There you can sell:
- your horses for 400 Equus
- your unicorns and non-unicorn horses born to unicorn parents for 2,000 Equus
Selling a horse to this sanctuary is not like selling a horse to a player. Once the sale is completed, you cannot buy your horse back, and the sale price is fixed.
> 5.4 - Teams
You can team up with other players and collaborate in order to improve a breed. You can join up to 2 teams.
A team is made of a founder and other players. The amount of available spaces inside a team depends on the number of VIP players inside it, with 4 spaces per VIP member. A team can at most only hold 20 players, even if there are more than 5 VIP players registered.
In order to join a team, you can:
- Found your own team if you are a VIP
- accept an invite from a team
Each team has a public page that can be customized, as well as special forums restricted to team members.
In order to make communications within a team easier, group messages can be sent to all members of the team.
Additionally, you can book horses or coverings for the whole team.
The founder can assign roles to each team member, such as the right to manage the public page, recruiting or team forum moderation.
You can leave your team at any time. If you are the founder of the team, you can appoint a new founder from among the team members who are also VIP players. If you do not appoint a founder, a new founder will be appointed automatically. However, if there are no VIP players left in the team, the team will be dissolved.Lending horses
You can lend your horses to your team mates. This way, your team will not get stuck if you leave for a while.
Lending a horse is done from their horse page, similar to selling that horse. Please note however that you can only lend horses that wear the team's affix, and that you can only lend 3 horses at a time.
When someone lends you a horse, that horse:
- remains in your breeding farm between 2 and 4 days
- cannot receive Black Market items or bonuses
- cannot be sold or sent to Safe Haven
- cannot be registered to a Grand Prix
You can use an affix that is shared across all your team mates for all horses belonging to the breed that you all collaborate on together. Only purebred horses can receive the team affix.Rating an affix
Riding horse, pony and unicorn team affixes are reviewed for rating on the first day of each month if:
- at least 20 horses wearing the affix are born during the previous month and alive at the moment of the notation
- the best horse wearing the affix has a higher genetic potential than the previous best horse from the same breed upon the first day of the previous month
Team affixes that meet these criteria are then sorted based on the best genetic potential of the horses born under that affix. Stars are then given to the 3 best affixes for each breed:
- the best affix: 3 stars
- the next affix: 2 stars
- the third affix: 1 star
Prizes are then given to each member of the teams that got their affix rewarded:
- 3 stars: Morpheus' Arms
- 2 stars: Chronos' Timer
- 1 star Zeus' Lightning Bolt
Please note that you cannot receive more than 2 prizes per month from ratings, even if you are part of 3 or more teams that get rewarded.Team rankings
You can compare your team with others thanks to various rankings:
- the best genetic potential of horses born with the team affix
- the number of horses born with the team's affix throughout the month
- the number of rosettes won by horses wearing the team's affix throughout the month
- the number of times when horses wearing the team's affix have been ranked in the Top 1000 in Grand Prix competitions throughout the month
- Team prestige, which is the result of the 4 previous rankings as well as affix ratings
You can restrict your team to unicorn breeding.
Unicorn teams use their own ranking system.
Affix rating for unicorns works exactly the same as with horse affixes, except that unicorn affixes are ranked among themselves only.
6 / Use the Creation Space
> 6.1 - The basic idea
The Creation Space is a place where you can propose illustrations to be used on Howrse and win passes if they beat the vote.
The Creation Space is for all languages (English, German, French...). That means if you propose an illustration and it wins the vote, it will be available in all languages.How it works
The selection process takes place every month, and follows a specific procedure. This month:
- Proposing illustrations
September 1 00:00 » September 5 23:59
Everyone can propose illustrations using the Black Pearl
September 6 00:00 » September 14 23:59
Players of all languages vote on the illustrations once they have been validated
The most popular illustrations are selected and sorted by category
September 26 13:00
The selected illustrations are published online in each of the site's languages
Proposing illustrations can be quite lucrative! The day an illustration is published, each illustration earns its author:
- Different numbers of passes for different types of illustration:
- 40 passes for a Golden Apple coat with no limitation on the number of uses 20 passes for a coat with a limited number of uses
- 30 passes for a Helios' Ray landscape
After voting, if your illustration is not selected, you will be refunded the passes you spent proposing it.
> 6.2 - Uploading artwork
Winning illustrations will be published online at the Black Market every month at the same time (this month: September 26 13:00). Also, every month, a few Golden Apple coats will be published online for a limited time only. Once they run out, they will be removed from sale.
Remember, the Creation Space is for all languages, so illustrations that win can be from any country!
The team reserves the right to delete a creation from the game, whether it has been deactivated or not. The players who have used this creation will be reimbursed with the initial value of the item.
7 / Behavior and rules of conduct
> 7.1 - The rules
- behave courteously and respectfully when dealing with all members of the Howrse community - this includes players, moderators (whose names are in green) and administrators (whose names are in blue bold)
- follow the rules of conduct everywhere on the site. You can find these rules on your My Karma page
- follow the specific rules for the various community areas (forum, private messaging, etc.)
> 7.2 - Karma and warnings
Karma is what shows your reputation in the game. Upon registering, you receive 10 karma points. You lose karma points if you break the rules. Losing karma points can mean you lose access to certain game features, such as the forum or sales.
We invite you to read what actions can make you lose karma on your My Karma page
If you break a minor rule, you receive a warning. If the situation repeats itself, you lose karma.
> 7.3 - The staff
Only administrators (whose names are in blue bold) and moderators (whose names are in green) can create rules and apply sanctions in the game. We request that you listen to their advice and follow their instructions.
Administrators are Owlient employees who take care of the overall running of the site. Moderators are chosen from among the players. They're here to help you when you need it and make sure the rules are being followed.